Friday, August 02, 2013

What wrong in being a "dancer" ?

The wedding was over and it was time for the reception. There was a small dance program which was quiet refreshing in our uneventful marriages. Just then, an elderly lady quips from behind me, " Ayyo, why are these grown up girls dancing ? What is the point in teaching them these things. Do they want to join these shameless dancers you see in movies ?". Being a trained Bharatanatyam dancer, my heart sunk. It sunk more, because I was no one to correct her. I was invited to a small wedding and correcting an elderly woman wouldn't make me a lady. I was just an amateur and learned it as an art form. Sighing, I remembered the years of practice that goes into making a performance for 12 to 15 minutes. It embraces the need of athleticism combined with grace. I recollected how my Guru taught me the path of an assertive disciple who finds completeness in thyself and not to fancy as a mere entertainer. Dance requires the culmination of a great Guru, fervent discipline and most importantly perseverance. When you start learning dance as a child, you can see the number of students dwindle every year. Just like anything other art, it is not for everyone.

Some people denigrate art particularly the Indian classical dance forms, saying it is blatant and completely against their cultural practises. Being a humble devotee to my religion and an avid Indian art lover, I will try my best in spreading the word to the ignorant. Many aspects of our culture (Indian), good and bad was shunned with the advent of the British who saw it completely unEuropean and different. I admire the courage of the missionaries and their efforts in opening schools and removing a lot of stigmas in our society. However what we also received in this package, is a disconnect from our Indian roots. I was blessed in an environment who took various art forms as an art form and nothing more than that. It was essential to instill confidence in a child and attain completion as an individual. It is sad to hear remarks from our older generations about how dance has made our generation blatant and uneducating your children in this approach. Teaching an art to a child is good to preoccupy him/her but as a parent you need to tell when you should start and stop it and when you should prioritize activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home